French Verb Practice with Videos:
French Video Clips with downloadable exercises which focus on verb practice:
Avoir, Être, Negatives, likes/dislikes, Aller + infinitive verbs (the near future tense), reflexive verbs, contrast between imperfect and past tenses …
1. AVOIR PRACTICE
Introduction: Uses of Avoir in the 1st Person:
J’ai – 1st person present tense
Practice in the Present tense:
2. KS3 MODAL VERBS
Practice using modal verbs to score goals in a Fifa Game.
Je veux, je peux, je dois:
Vouloir, Pouvoir, Devoir
3. ÊTRE in the Present Tense
Verb Practice in a description using indefinite + definite articles + adjectives:
Present Tense of the Verb ÊTRE
4. The verb FAIRE
Que fais-tu? Quel temps fait-il?
Maggie and Billy say what they are doing in different situations, often weather related:
Faire – Practice, Video + Worksheets
– JOUER versus FAIRE
How to talk about SPORT in the Present Tense.
Jouer au + Faire de …
5. NEGATIVES in French
Friendly short story full of examples of how negatives wrap around verbs in French: The Bone from Twitter
6. il y a + il faut
Introduction and practice in a friendly story:
“Il y a du nutella – Il faut profiter ..!”
(There is some nutella. We must make the most of it!)
Impersonal verbs – il y a + il faut
7. On + Verbs in the Present Tense
Learn about how Carnival is celebrated at School in France in a description which uses On + Verbs in the present tense.
Carnival in France – On + Verbs
8. On + Verbs in the Present Tense
What do we do at school? Why do we go there?
Practice using On + Verbs to talk about school life.
Qu’est-ce qu’on fait à l’école?
9. ALLER + Infinitive
Practice in the context of a future holiday on a desert island! Aller + Infinitive
10. Practice using Passé composé in a short story followed by likes and dislikes in the Present Tense:
Maggie a grandi
11. Short story that begins in the Present Tense before moving to the Perfect Tense (passé composé) to ‘solve’ the problem:
Ma Voiture Dog Story
12. Practice using the Past Participle of AVOIR + How to ask if somebody has had a good holiday, Christmas, summer, weekend etc:
AVOIR in the Perfect Tense
14. True story about a fire in the Present Tense full of useful KS3/4 vocabulary about respecting and protecting the environment:
Fire in the Mountains!
15. Present, perfect (passé composé), and Future + Aller Questions and answers about: My Summer Holidays
16. Practice using the Imperfect and Perfect Tenses in a short, friendly description of a young puppy growing up. Clear examples of things that happened (perfect tense) while the puppy was growing up (imperfect tense):
A New Puppy
17. Monter and Descendre (Perfect Tense)
Monter + Descendre belong to the list of irregular verbs which use être rather than avoir in the passé composé (perfect tense) BUT they change back to using Avoir when they have a Direct Object:
Perfect Tense of Monter and Descendre – AVOIR or ÊTRE?
– – – –
Click here for video resources that put French Grammar in context:
French Grammar Practice
Verbs need practice. Learn to conjugate them, and learn them by heart: Recommendation:
Le Nouveau Bescherelle is a small, excellent reference book which conjugates 12,000 French verbs.