Colours in French + Agreements
Free French Grammar + Downloadable Exercise + Listening practice for Children:
Colours are adjectives. In French they go after the word they describe.
The white dog becomes the dog white:
Le chien blanc.
Most simple colours in French, except for Orange and Marron, change their endings to agree with the word (noun) they describe.
The green pencil
= Le crayon vert
The green car
= La voiture verte
The green pencils
= Les crayons verts
The green cars
= Les voitures vertes
– Orange and Marron never change their endings.
They are called invariable colours.
– Colour Combinations and colours which have clair (light) or foncé (dark) added to them are also invariable and never change:
la voiture vert foncé = the dark green car
Study this table for more information on gender and singular and plural endings.
Then watch, listen and join in with the video clips below:
Clear sentences to illustrate when and how colours agree with the nouns they describe in French:
Downloadable Worksheet: Colours in French WorksheetColours in French + Gender Worksheet
. . .
Translate the colours into French, making sure that they ‘agree’ where necessary – Answers can be checked via the Video Clip:
1. La fleur(f) est blue.
2. La fleur(f) est light blue.
3. Le camion light blue a des bûches(fpl) brown.
4. Les fleurs(fpl) pink sont jolies
5. Les fleurs(fpl) sont dark green.
– – –
Click here for practice describing animals by their colour using c’est + il est: Animals in French + Colours
More practice re position of colours AFTER the noun in French:
Main French page:French Resources